Edmonds community college
partnership food pantry
Everybody jokes about the starving college students that live on ramen noodles, but it is true and it isn't very funny. A 2016 study has shown that 48% of college students have experienced food insecurity and 22% reported experiences very low food insecurity. At four-year colleges the food insecurity level rate is reported at 20% and at the community college level the rate is reported at 25%.
Locally at Edmonds Community College they average about 10,754 students per quarter.
- 40% are full-time students
- 83% of the students live within eight miles of the campus
- 33% work in addition to their studies
- 22% have children or other dependents in their care
- 29% are receiving need-based financial aid
- 32% are receiving any financial aid
Based on the above study, there are approximately 2,689 students at EdCC that are food insecure.
In Spring of 2018 Edmonds Community College opened a Food Pantry to help students that may not have enough food at home. They have been open twice per week, allowing each student to attend once per week.
In September 2018 Lynnwood Food Bank joins EdCC to ensure that the students in our community have enough nutritious food to study, learn, work, and succeed in their efforts to improve their lives. Every Thursday of the month Lynnwood Food Bank will operate a mobile Food Pantry in place of the student Food Pantry for students and staff.
We will be able to bring fresh fruits, vegetables and breads along with frozen meats in addition to the staples of canned and boxed foods. We are excited about this opportunity to assist the young people in our community as well as the older students that are making efforts to improve their lives. We believe in our students are we are proud of them.
If you would like to provide for the students in our community, we would love the following items:
- Breakfast: Oatmeal, cereal, breakfast bars
- Lunch: peanut butter (other nut), jelly, canned meat, mayo, lunch meat
- Meal helpers: Hamburger Helper, macaroni and cheese, pasta, rice, etc.
- Study snacks: protein bars, granola bars,
- Beverages: shelf milk, shelf almond milk, coffee
- Dairy: yogurt, cheese
- Produce: long life fruits and vegetables, salads
- Protein: chicken, beef, tofu - please freeze before donating, no pork
- Specialty: gluten free, vegan